My Take on ............

As we march through the days, months and years that make up our lives, we experience things that determine what we think and make us what we are. This is my chance to share "My Take on ..........."

Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving

           Thanksgiving has always been a special time for me. In my past life it was about family gatherings, deer hunting and of course lots of food. That chapter of my life is closed now but it's one of the few things that I miss. Last Thanksgiving was the first together for Joyce and I. It was exactly what it should have been. We cooked ourselves a miniture version of a Thanksgivng feast, enjoyed our meal together and reminised about Thanksgivings past. We were happy and very thankful for being together.
           This year as the day approached we were preparing ourselves for a repeat of last year when things began to happen. First Joyce's daughter Elizabeth called and told her mother that she and her boyfriend Kenny wanted to come for dinner with us. We both were very excited about the prospects of Thanksgiving dinner with family again even though it was small. That's when I suggested to Joyce that she should invite her son Douglas and his family to come over also. We really didn't expect them to come since we assumed they would go to his wife's family gathering. Much to our surprise they accepted our invitation and even said they would be here early.
            Needless to say Joyce was overjoyed! She so misses her grandaughter Hallie and the time together with her family.I also have struggled, constantly dealing with the family turmoil caused by divorce but I feel like I have made great progress this past year with mending some of the situations with my children caused by the split up of their parents. Because of this, much to my surprise, I had the opportunity to bring my youngest grandson Jackson over to our house for the day. What a wonderful Thanksgiving gift that was for me!
            This just goes to show that no matter how bad things get there's always hope for a better future. All we can do is follow our hearts, be true to one's self, and take every opportunity to show our love for those who really count.




No comments:

Post a Comment