My Take on ............

As we march through the days, months and years that make up our lives, we experience things that determine what we think and make us what we are. This is my chance to share "My Take on ..........."

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Decades

         
            2010, Wow, a new decade has slipped up on us again! It's hard to believe that it's been 10 years since the turn of the century. I've spent a lot of time lately reflecting on decades past. For those of us who were born in a year close to the start of a new decade it's common for us to define our lives in ten year segments.
           For me that's easy, as it seems that some life changing event has happened in each of the six decades of life I've been around for. Just for the record I thought it would be interesting to share some of my thoughts on those events and what they meant to me, so here goes:


The 50's
             As the "Baby Boom" years were winding down I was the first born to a couple of kids of 14 and 17. After five tumultuous years, my father passed away at the age of 23 leaving Mom and four kids behind. We weren’t exactly off to a flying start. As the decade came to a close my first real memories of my early childhood weren't so good and I still to this day wonder how much different my life would have been if my father had lived.


The 60's
            As strange as it seems, I can trace a so much of who and what I am to what happened during this ten year period. In 1960 I started school, got a step father and began my journey through the decade that changed America forever! We spent the first five years of the 60's as most kids our age did, running, playing, going to school. My fondest memories from those years were of my grand parents as I was very close to them. Life was so simple back then. Little did I know how much things were about to change.
             The second part of the decade were among the worst of my young life. It began with the death of my grand mother, and continued with a string of years laced with tough times. I began to learn the harshness of being under privileged and growing up in a college town where a lot of our peers were from well to do families connected to the school. It made it tough to fit in. I tried my best, but without parental support and a dire lack of resources, it was almost impossible. It took me years to overcome the stigma.
            The 60's drew to a close as I spiraled toward my 16th birthday. I spent most of my time trying to figure out who I was and where I was going, and as Paul Simon put it "twitching like a finger on the trigger of a gun...."

To be continued .....

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite one of all the newest ones that you have written! this was such a clever way of starting 2010, going thorugh all the decades that you have been though, it explains the histroy that you have been through. It makes you realize how one can experience so much in a life time! whenever you retire you should become a writer i really enjoy your writting!

    ReplyDelete